Friday, December 23, 2011

Small Magic

I got out in the yard today for some early winter maintenance activities. I cut up and burned the limbs that fell throughout the autumn, stowed potted perennials in composting leaves to protect the roots, re-stacked firewood that fell and blew the last of the leaves into flower beds. I repaired a squirrel chair feeder and adjusted the pool cover for winter water level. Grandson and I fussed with the fire and ate oranges. Pretty mundane stuff really.

But this is the stuff that makes life bearable. Forget the glamorous lifestyle and job. It's the little jobs at home that provide a real quality of life. Yeah, your back hurts the next day, your shoes get muddy and you get smokey and cold. But you did the work, not some hired Juan. My house might not be fancy...but it's mine. I do all the maintenance work and know every minute detail of the place. I have for 35 years.


The magic is all in the little detail of this life. The wider world is just a disappointment. Any squirrel climbing trees in your yard is far more interesting than any politician, Hollywood star or captain of industry. So think small and find magic in this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home