Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why?

Why do I blog? Why bother trying to make sense of this world or tell the truth? Almost 7 billion people alive on this incomprehensible planet, most of whom I'll never know and don't care about at all. Many of whom I hate everything that they believe and stand for. I'm not changing any minds either here or, even where I am able to speak with people face-to-face. Everyone is just tightly bound up in their tiny world of wants and desires. Mostly just surviving and trying to escape reality.

Wife thinks I should stop blogging and amuse myself with television instead. Watch Storage Wars with her rather than read and comment about all the other wars. She says I won't change anything, anyway. And she's probably right. I barely influence events at work where I'm there in person 9 hours a day or at home with family 6 hours a day. Often I think I couldn't have less influence if I was a hermit living in a cave in Saskatchewan.

But on my 22,250th day alive on this planet I posted another comment that Googlebot and maybe some guy in Rockford might read. Mostly my musing will just consume electricity as a binary placeholder in time and space forever (or until Google can't pay the electric bill and terminates my blog after I've been inactive because of my death).

I'll move along now. A light snow is falling and squirrels are feeding on corn and sunflower seeds I can barely afford anymore. But they, and the birds, entertain me immensely. Me feeding them matters to them...and me. It is one of the few things that I do that matters in my world anymore. So I'll carry on for as long as I can. I'll recycle, pay bills, play with the grandsons, bring firewood up to the house, have a fire, eat, then go to bed. Mostly meaningless tasks in an otherwise meaningless life, punctuated by occasional meaningless blog posts. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home