Sunday, December 18, 2011

Seeing Santa

I awoke early one Christmas morning when I was eight. I was allowed to get my stocking from the fireplace but I had to take it back to bed. I peeked around the corner to see if Santa had stuffed my stocking. I was shocked when I saw the diminutive, red suited, bearded man standing by the fireplace getting ready to leave the house. He looked at me, smiled and put his finger aside his nose, as if to say "fear not but say nothing". Then he vanished up the chimney, literally in the twinkle of an eye. I listened for the departure of his sled but nothing. I ducked back in my room quivering in excitement at actually seeing Santa.

After a few minutes I crept out and snagged my stocking. I took it back to my bed and dumped it but all I could think was that I saw Santa. I wanted to wake everyone up and tell them about my good fortune but I stayed in my room until my sister got up about an hour later when daylight broke. I excitedly told her every detail as she stared at me wide eyed. Then we got her stocking and came back to my room.

When my parents got up a little later I told them about my encounter with Santa. They smiled and listened probably wondering about the over-active imagination that my teachers had told them I possessed. As we opened gifts I was certain that I had been given a special gift by Father Christmas and with that gift I had special responsibilities.

When the new school term started I told my friends about seeing Santa I got mixed reactions. Better to keep this kind of information to yourself. I never spoke of it again until I was married. My wife smiled and said that I probably did see Saint Nick. Magic can happen and it does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home