Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Estate Update

We executed my mother's will on May 14. All bills were paid, the funds were distributed and the only remaining business is our state inheritance taxes. We remitted close to $9000 to the state and must wait for about six months to see if the state is satisfied with our tax return. We are holding an additional $2000 in case the state wants more. Mom will have been in the ground for a year before we can finally close the estate.

My sister and I kept most of our inheritance invested in stocks. We both hope to live off the interest in our rapidly approaching old age. Hopefully the market and bolsheviks will let us keep our equity and earned interest. So far we've lost 5% and I'm not hopeful about the future.

My brother used a chunk of his inheritance to fix up mom's old house. He's making it his own by remodeling. He has no prospects for work so he is using his time to remodel. The house is really looking nice. Mom lost her interest in the place the last ten years of her life. My brother has restored the place completely. If he can't find work and his life collapses he should be able to get maximum value for the house even in a awful real estate market. At 48 he wonders if he'll ever work again. Sad.

I paid off a small second mortgage, put a roof on the bruig and replaced the furnace. The house is good for another 30 years. Grandma replaced the 30 year old stove and counter top. We're set to retire when I can't take it anymore (or I'm ask to go).
Mom told my sister to buy a new car with her inheritance. She was insistent since my sister drove a clunker. Sis bought a Malibu but feels guilty. I told her that mom is smiling in heaven. My brother-in-law made no provisions for retirement and is on disability so the only hope for my sister to not live in poverty in old age is the inheritance she received from my mother. Mom always looked after her children.

Thanks mom and dad for your gift. We don't deserve the fruits of your thrift. We wish you everlasting peace. God bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home