Sunday, December 11, 2011

So...

We decorated the bruig for Christmas as usual this year. Lights in the two pine trees, three conical lighted fake trees, garland and wreaths on the doors, a nice tree and fireplace garland inside, and a few knick-knacks about the place. It looks festive. But looks are deceptive.

You see, I don't make enough money to have a traditional Christmas this year. The wife's car broke and will cost damn near $1000 to fix just weeks after a similarly priced repair on the other car. So grandboys and daughters will get gifts. But grandma and I have decided to not exchange gifts. We'll use the money to fix the car instead.

I always enjoyed buying gifts for the wife at Christmas. Not a lot. Just a few nice things that she never gets for herself through the year. I'll make her something useful in lieu of a bought gift using my wood working skills and wood already on hand. She'll be happy. I don't need a thing. Watching the grandboys open their gifts will be gift enough for me.

The thing is, this is the visible proof of the end of the American Dream for me. Wife and I had a couple of thin Christmas' when we were younger. But we always knew things would get better. And they did. But this time is different. We just can't keep up with expenses as the price of everything relentlessly rises as my salary stays the same.

Of course, the gift exchange is not the meaning of the season. But my inability to celebrate the holiday like the rest of the country is bitterly disappointing. I won't use available credit for gift buying because it's just wrong. I've always paid for Christmas with cash. So...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home