Saturday, January 08, 2011

WESTERN DIGITAL WD3200AAJS Fails in 23 Months

As an ultimate technical nerd I've built the bruig's desktop computers for years. I can build a good desktop for around $300 that will last for a good seven years before it needs to be replaced to meet current computing requirements. I maintain three desktops and a laptop on the bruig network to keep my family happy.

Last week the oldest bruig desktop starting locking up. The system complained about overclocking failures so I suspected that the CPU was getting old and it was time to replace the seven year old CPU and motherboard. As usual I ordered an ASUS motherboard, an INTEL CPU, some DDR2 memory and an ANTEC power supply. I intended to re-use the chassis, drives, keyboard and mouse as they were all working.

Everything arrived Thursday evening and within a couple of hours the system was put together. MICROSOFT complained about reactivating the software so I had to re-install Windows XP. Everything went fine until I tried to re-install HP printer software. It would hang up early in the install.

It became apparent that the WESTERN DIGITAL WD3200AAJS hard drive had a problem. I just replaced the drive in February 2009 so I initially thought I had a cable problem. After swapping cables, it was clear that the drive was failing. I was shocked and disappointed.

I've always had good luck with WESTERN DIGITAL drives. They never failed, just became obsolete as bigger drives became necessary and available. To have a drive fail after 23 months was unbelievable! I didn't lose any data since I back up important files on multiple drives but I'm wondering if these Chinese made drives meet quality requirements.

I hope that all the items manufactured in China aren't junk but I fear they may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home