Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Meditations and the Spider

The Googlebot spider is my biggest fan lately. It comes to visit this blog every day whether I post or not. Sometimes it visits several times a day and revisits postings over and over. Very strange.

I sometimes wonder what sort of web the spider has built from my musings. Has it collated an impression of me based upon my comments over the years or does it just add keywords to it's search database. Is the spider a spy who collects data for some evil entity who considers me potentially dangerous and might add me to an enemy's list? Or just a benign little bug collecting index items? I'll probably never know.

There was a time when I thought that blogs had tremendous potential. Never before in the history of mankind did common individuals have an opportunity to widely share their thoughts and communicate ideas. Perhaps that it still true for some talented people. But for me it's only a private log, to think through information and ideas by writing them down.

There is far too many information sources on the web for anyone but the spiders. Most people have moved on to faster, lighter social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Blogs are just stuffy, old fashioned things like books or diaries. Only amusing to spiders, mostly.

My blog is modeled after Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Just random thoughts based upon my daily musings. Nothing more. Unlike Marcus, I won't be published almost 2000 years later. But then again, I'm not a Caesar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home