Friday, September 09, 2011

The Daily Commute

It takes me an hour to travel 45 miles to work five days a week and costs about $13 per day driving the Buick. That's 10 hours driving 450 miles per week at a cost of $65 per week in gasoline. I wondered how that stacked up against the average american commute. Gallup illuminates!

The average american commutes 46 minutes to and from work every day. Only 11% of americans commute the two hours per day that I do!

About 40 minutes of my drive is through rural areas on good roads. The high speed component is on good, four lane highway at 65+ mph. The 20 minute leg through major city suburbs is lousy due to traffic, lights and congestion.
The morning drive begins most of the year in darkness at 0530 hours, so I avoid rush hour traffic in the morning. The drive home traffic is much more dense and stressful but it takes about the same drive time.

There's nothing I can do about my commute, so I just accept it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home