Monday, September 05, 2011

Labor Day

Fall came roaring in from the north last night on a cold north wind. It was 53F when I crawled out of bed this morning to mark the passing of  Labor Day. Late last week until Saturday the daytime high temperature pushed 100F. Summer held out until the very last this year.

The holiday has mostly become a bookend for summer albeit a meaningless one since the return school ends the season for most. I find it odd that the culture continues to celebrate dates that no longer hold meaning to the culture.

I never understood celebrating the economic and social contributions of workers in general and labor unions in particular. Until recently, people always worked every day so they could have shelter and food to eat. In the past most folks would have shook their heads in disbelief at the idea of celebrating economic and social conditions.

Nowadays only half the people work while the other half live off of other's work. So what the hell are the those who don't work celebrating? My contributions? Kiss my ass. No one gives my contributions a second's thought. They're overeating and drinking booze.

This Labor Day I'm celebrating the fact that I even have a job. Oh it's not much of a job, and it doesn't pay much. But I can provide for my family for a little bit longer as the world winds down. Actually, I'll do some work around the house that I don't have time to do during a normal week (since I'm commuting a couple of hours every day). Celebrating labor by laboring. We are a retarded people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home