Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Prep for Forever: Part 2

Wife and I met with our financial planner today. Between my pensions, social security and investments he thinks I can safely retire at 66. He conservatively figured on 3% annual inflation going forward, a 3% tax increase in the future and a 10% annual return on investment for the next 5 years, then a 6% annual ROI thereafter. I could retire at 62 but working until 66 seals the deal for a solid retirement.

The advisor said that we're in much better shape than most americans because we aren't carrying the debt load of most people at our age. The big house, new cars and credit card debt keeps folks from saving. Life expectancy is 85 at this time, and calculating sufficient income through 95 is standard anymore. So it's important to save such that you can get by until age 95. That's a lot of savings.

So I'm happy. My wife will be in good shape once I've gone. Now I just need to live to enjoy some retirement and hope that the world doesn't go batshit crazy, spoiling our plans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home