Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Plodding Along

Small is good in these times. It might be the difference between survival and not. We've been downsizing everything and making some progress.

The house is pretty much ready for retirement (or economic apocalypse). We've replaced the roof, the furnace and some odds and ends that should never need to be replaced again, even if I live to be 85. It feels good to have that crap behind me.

I'm downsizing chores as well. I used to be very particular about the yard, garden and house. Now I look for maintenance free solutions around the homestead. Less is better as I get older, I don't have the time or inclination to work for hours on the weekends.

The two things that would be good to be larger are salary and return on investments. But I don't see that happening in the remaining 5-8 years that I will work. I'll consider myself lucky to work a few more years and I don't see investments appreciating in a deflationary economy.

I feel myself getting smaller as well. I imagine myself as a quark in the universe, 1/6th of an electron and the smallest known mass in physics. As a quark, I'm essential in the makeup of God's universe but just one of many, with no particular, individual significance.
I think that when we're young we're full of pride and dreams that make us oftentimes feel big. But age slowly erodes pride and dreams until we become miniscule parts of the universe soon to be annihilated. It is a wonder how God prepares us for eternity.

I've learned a lot during the sixty years that I've lived but most of it will go to eternity with me. In this modern age people just don't have time to listen to the old folks. Our civilization is poorer for it. For all of our computers and cell phones and vast data banks, we can't communicate how to live a decent, honest life that raises up civilization.

God tells me to keep plodding along for a while longer, He tells me to try everyday and He gently urges me to be tiny. I listen and obey, for that's all I can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home