Sunday, March 07, 2010

Clearing AR-15 Cartridge Jams

I have experienced two action jams on my AR-15 in the past two years. In both cases I could neither forward assist to seat the cartridge nor use the charge handle to clear the jam. And in both cases I could not safe the firearm.

I pointed the firearm downrange and removed the upper receiver then whacked the charge handle of the upper receiver on the bench rest sharply. This drove the cartridge into the chamber and released the charge handle, bolt assembly with cartridge, which dropped on the bench rest.

Inspection of the cartridges revealed that in both cases the problem was due to missing/loose cartridge primers as all cartridge dimensions were found to be nominal to specification except the over sized primer pocket. In the first case the mangled primer was embedded in the firing pin recess hole. I removed the remains of the primer with various picks until I could dissemble the bolt for cleaning and inspection. No damage was noted. In the second case, the loose primer was found in the magazine. I cleaned and inspected the bolt, finding no damage.

Both of these cartridges were my reloads that had been reloaded many times. I had noted "soft" primer seats when reloading Lake City brass with CCI  #41 primers but had loaded these cartridges anyway. Henceforth I will challenge any cartridge that exhibits a "soft" primer seat. If the primer drops out, the cartridge goes to metal recycling.

Sometimes Yankee thrift can cause problems!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home