Saturday, May 28, 2011

Government of Gangsters

I received a letter from the state department of revenue yesterday advising that my Energy Star tax credit couldn't be honored because the state fund was exhausted in February. A second letter from department of revenue advised that my tax return was in error, because of the denied Energy Star credit of $100, therefore I was fined a $62.40 penalty and $3.23 in interest penalties. I was ordered to remit $165 immediately or endure additional fines and interest which would begin immediately.

This correspondence had a heavy-handed tone and seemed excessive. My Turbo Tax return followed legal guidance by submitting the Energy Star tax credit. There was no "error" on my part, the state had merely run out of funds for a legal credit that the state and federal government had enacted to stimulate the economy and mitigate energy needs. I shouldn't be penalized for an "error" of following government law and guidance.

And what a penalty. 65% of $100 as penalty and interest! Loan sharks would be envious.

I called the state department of revenue and was lucky enough to talk to Shelly. She was sympathetic because her mother had gotten the same letters earlier that day. Mom had called Shelly and had angrily asked WTF? Shelly told me to write a protest letter describing my lack of error and just send $100. She thought the state would do the right thing, that this was just a computer programming error.

I wrote the letter, wrote the check and dropped them in the mail today. Shelly said I should know something in 6 to 8 weeks. We'll see.

This event had the feel of gangsters coming to my house and shaking me down with threats. Yeah Lugh, we told you to go buy a furnace and we'd pay $100 of the bill. We lied chump. Now pay us...or else. Oh, and give us an extra $65 for having to come here and threaten you.

Of the people, by the people and for the people? Right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home