Saturday, April 16, 2011

Through the Motions

I'm going through the motions of life these days. No dreams, no hopes just obligations until I wrap this farce up. Mostly I get up in the morning, deal with whatever is thrown at me then go to sleep yet again. I know things but no one wants to know anymore.

This week at work I was summoned to a ISO-9000 pre-certification organization meeting with several directors. I know this stuff well, having previously gone through a certification process as well as maintaining the ISO processes in decades of manufacturing processes. I explained the systematic deficiencies in my area of responsibility and made recommendations going forward.
The 40 year old MBA directors advised me to "quit looking in the rear view mirror and be optimistic". How absurd! How do you know how to move forward if you disregard where you've been? Ignorance and arrogance on display by the educated. So typical in this country today. No wonder nothing works anymore.

Later, when alone with my 40 year old director, I told him I was sick of being ignored and lectured by arrogant 40 year olds. I told him that I was 60 years old, experienced, intelligent and not willing to be insulted by kids. I suggested that they listen to my experience, that they were paying for, lest they stumble around continuing to make mistakes that lead to business failure.
He said he agreed and asked me to put aside the insults to make the project succeed. Of course I will because of personal pride, but not for any sense of loyalty to these directors or the company. It's all about me doing the right thing because I care, not because of any sense of us. There is no us anymore in this country.

Last week at a company meeting the CEO asked us to have pride and passion for the company and it's product. He didn't understand that this could only be possible if there was a we that believed that it was our company. Not a company where directors won't listen to and lecture the hired help.

That's typical of everything in this country today, government, companies, families even the culture. Every aspect of our lives is demanded without any input based upon our experience. So we live our meaningless, dreamless, hopeless lives...just going through the motions...living life vicariously through TV shows and celebrities lives.

I've always wanted to know things. That is what I've been seeking my whole life. I'm inspired by those who know or those who want to know. But they are few and far between. So I go through the motions, work, pay bills, fix stuff and wait to blast into pure knowledge when it's done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home