Saturday, March 20, 2010

I fear for my Grandsons

Spring comes to the bruig this afternoon and I should be feeling the rebirth of the season. Instead a gloom still haunts me. The land is heaving to bring forth the seeds of life yet the people on the land are in turmoil, with many wishing to loot their neighbors just to get through another year.

I spoke with my unemployed brother at length last night about his pending inheritance. He interviewed for a job at two different companies last week. He s qualified for both jobs and should get an offer. Both jobs are an hour away and he needs a better vehicle to get to work. Since he is broke, he wants money for a truck. He wants cash now and doesn't understand why he must wait for the estate to close.

Our mother scrimped and saved for decades, putting money away for her and our future. In effect, she planted seeds so that there might be plenty in the future. My brother wants to get and spend all of his inheritance right now. It will all be gone in just a few days. Effectively, he wants to eat the seeds.

My brother told me that since he has no children, no wife, no heirs that there is no future. Only today. Why should he save? He just needs to get through his troubles today. He is like the democrats running our country, who want to spend it all today because there is no future. Do they do this because they have no wife or children or heirs?

Generations of Americans who lived perilous lives still managed to build and save for the future. Many in this generation just spend the accumulated wealth, living for today with no regard for the future. I fear for my grandsons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home