Sunday, February 07, 2010

Got me a "green" job

I finally became a full time employee at my work this week. My salary is disappointing and my health care cost is just over the moon. But I'm just thankful to be part of the working-living again here in 21st century America.

I'm a test engineer at a lithium ion battery manufacturer. The company hasn't made a dime yet but they seem to be well positioned to grow significantly from the coming clean energy market. We have contracts for government, military, smartgrid, public bus and automotive applications that are underway. The company is characterized as CleanTech so I guess I got me a "green" job. Not too bad for an old fart like me!

It's a buyer's market for employers right now. An engineer with 25 years experience makes about 2/3 market rate. My salary is what I was making in 1987, so I'm set back 23 years. Ouch.
I'm told that salaries "should" improve once the company makes money. I think it's a good risk. And it beats the crap out of unemployment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home