Monday, August 06, 2012

Dear Ben

Dear Ben,

I know that you want to know if I'm happy. After all, "gauging happiness can be as important for measuring economic progress as determining whether inflation is low or unemployment high. Economics isn't just about money and material benefits. It is also about understanding and promoting the enhancement of well-being."

How secure do Americans feel in their jobs? Not secure at all Ben. In fact, I think my job will be lucky to last until 2013.

How confident are Americans in their future job prospects? Not confident at all Ben. Being 61 years old, nobody but my present employer would ever hire me for anywhere near what I'm worth. I'm planning on unemployment and disability if I can't work until 66 at my current employer.

How prepared are families for financial shocks? Not well Ben. I don't make enough to save since I lost my job in 2008 so what I have saved is all I'll ever have. Shocking me would be mean and I'm not far from poverty anyway since I'm only making 2/3 of what I made before.

Ben, I know that your definition of happiness is a "short-term state of awareness that depends on a person's perceptions of one's immediate reality, as well as on immediate external circumstances and outcomes." I'd just like to be able to buy some new Fruit of the Loom briefs and be able to go somewhere on vacation once more in my life.

Regards,

Lugh 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home