Saturday, January 14, 2012

Local Mystery

A guy I went to high school with, and ran in the same circle of friends with, died this week under mysterious circumstances. He always was an oddball and I generally steered clear of him. He had an explosives fetish and got in trouble for blowing up country church outhouses with dynamite as a teenager. How he acquired dynamite as a teen was beyond my comprehension. Frankly, I didn't want to know.

I broke contact with most everyone in my small school during my senior year. The rural school was just to inbred for me and as a rock musician who hung out with city kids I was just too weird for them. I didn't keep track of anyone after school and only ran into Dynamite Dave once in the 42 years after I graduated. We ran into each other and he stopped over for a beer and some catching up about a decade ago. He struck me as a run of the mill drunk, otherwise a pretty normal blue collar guy.

Apparently last week there was an explosion and fire in a garage out in the rural area of the county. Neighbors heard a boom then the building went up in flames. By the time firefighters arrived the building and cars inside were engulfed in flames. Later they found an unrecognizable body behind the wheel of one of the cars. Family and authorities suspect it is Dave.

The mystery involves the newspaper article that says that firefighters evacuated the neighbor who alerted them of the fire because he said that there were explosives in the garage. He heard a boom and there were explosives in the garage? How did he know there were explosives in the garage? Why were there explosives in the garage? Dave had no professional reason to have explosives. Did Dave continue his explosives fetish on into his adult life? How could he do this without the notice of authorities?

Did Dave suffer an unplanned, accidental detonation in his garage as he parked his car? Did he commit suicide with an IED? Police say the fire is under investigation. Maybe we'll know or maybe not.

I guess this got me to thinking about just how odd people really are. 47 years ago I thought Dave an oddball and generally gave him a wide berth in junior high school. The older I got, the more people I added to the "avoidance list". Now at age 61 everyone but my wife is just an acquaintance. People are just odd and you never know what they might do. I don't really trust anybody but my wife.

What kind of world do we live in? Ahmadinejad, Corzine, Lady Gaga, Charles Manson , Obama and Dave. We're all dead or dying, what do we do while we're here and alive? I just don't know about this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home