Saturday, June 18, 2011

Big Dog

Last night I went out to check my garden as I do every evening. Despite record rainfall, high temperatures, low temperatures and fierce winds, the plants have done well. I take great joy and comfort in keeping a well tended garden, especially as I get older. As I looked around I noticed deer prints in the dirt and on closer observation I noticed that deer had sampled strawberries, devoured lettuce and topped 13 tomato plants. My heart sank at the destruction.

Oh there will be more lettuce and the tomatoes will grow anew after this setback. Unless of course the deer return for more snacks. And they may now that they've sampled our tasty treats. Deer are that way.

We've never had deer feed in the garden in 34 years despite their constant presence in the park adjacent to our property. I suspect they jumped the fence and came in for a bite, not so much out of hunger but just curiosity. This is the first year that we haven't had big dogs living with us so I'm guessing that the lack of large carnivore urine made them feel safe to graze our garden.

Now I'm contemplating getting another big dog. The wife and I have enjoyed the peacefulness of her Maltese bitch and the grandson's little terrier bitch. But they just don't provide the protection of a bigger male that pees on the fences, hunts and kills wildlife that gets in the yard and threatens unwelcome human predators when required.

The wife doesn't like male dogs because of their behavior when they get older. I don't appreciate the occasional challenges to my alpha pack status myself. But I do appreciate the protective services that the big male provides. So maybe wife and I have a conversation and I begin my search.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda P said...

Yes, do it! May I suggest a big dog from the shelter/pound? Be sure he's OK with other dogs.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home