Thursday, September 09, 2010

American Stupidity...Again


WP reports that the last US incandescent light bulb manufacturing plant is closing next month. Thanks to congress' 2007 green legislation americans will be buying all of their "lamps" from China from now on. And they won't be those bright, warm incandescent bulbs that you grew up with, but those goddamned compact fluorescents.

So america loses another industry, created by American Thomas Edison, and more manufacturing jobs...to the Chinese. Can americans be more stupid?

I bought some of the CFLs in the 60W, 75W and 150W species. They are awful. The light is sickly and they don't immediately come up to full power. It takes the 150W outdoor spot lamp a couple of minutes to reach full power, and longer if it is cold outside. The light from CFLs remind me of a garish, dim light bulb hanging high in a tenement hallway. Perfect for post-America america, kinda like our future.

My vision has gotten worse as I age and I need about 450W of incandescent light when I perform detail work in my shop. I'm gonna need eight freakin 75W CFLs hanging together in a two square foot area to see. So much for saving money and reducing my "carbon footprint".

Read The Lights Go Out for America for more insight into this tragedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home