Sunday, May 08, 2011

Obama/Osama Wrap-up

By modern North American standards, longitude 30 to 48 degrees north, I must be an oddity because of my first and lasting reaction to the assassination of Osama bin Laden.

When my daughter burst into our bedroom last Sunday evening and shouted "They got bin Laden. He's dead.", my first thought was Ok. I was in bed and had to get up at 0430 hours so I stayed in bed and went to sleep. I didn't see any need to stay up to get more information. It could wait until morning, a few hours away.

After reading about the event in the morning I discovered that I wasn't in a celebratory mood, merely pleased that an enemy leader who routinely murdered civilians was unable to continue his misdeeds. The death of bin Laden really changed nothing. Islamists would still murder to install the global caliphate, with or without their sheik.

The celebrations that I read, saw and heard seemed awkward and immature. They seemed un-american and wrong. The garbled story of bin Laden's demise seemed odd then very wrong once it was revealed that he was assassinated unarmed and without a fight on presidential orders. Surely this was a cover story for a stealthy capture and detention by US intelligence services.

By Thursday's celebrations at Ground Zero and at Fort Campbell, I felt completely at odds with americans. Lame Cherry said it best:

"I have absolutely nothing in common with those who were moved to celebrate the death of bin Laden. That type of thing is not existent in me. One feels an emptiness instead, a regret at how wasted life can be when misused and one feels a quietness in the sadness of it all in none of it ends the damage done."

I take no pride nor do I celebrate the US shooting an unarmed Osama bin Laden in front of his wives and children. Sniping him on a street, Predator attack on a mountain side or killing him in a firefight is one thing. Shooting him in front of his family while unarmed is another. It shames americans.

And to what end? Does this end the war? Do Islamists lay down their arms and join humanity? Will the world have peace? No. Instead we will have generations of revenge, more war and more assassinations. Why was bin Laden assassinated in this manner? So americans could know justice was achieved? Or so Obama could score points for his re-election? Unfortunately I believe the later is the case.

As LC stated, Obama is using Osama's corpse as a campaign trophy. It is disgusting...and wrong. But more importantly, the people of 18 degrees longitude in North America don't care what was done or why. That's sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home