Saturday, April 02, 2011

Get a Dog

I don't like many people and it gets worse every day. Only maybe one in a thousand people command my minimal respect or fellowship. Oh, I'm polite with most people in casual contact but given an opportunity most people will give Good Reason to despise them. The more you know about people the worse it gets so I prefer minimal, casual contact for my own spiritual health.

As a child and teenager I gave most everyone the benefit of the doubt. I trusted often and accepted harm to myself as an accident. Surely people would never intentionally harm others! That would just be wrong. But as I grew older I kept seeing signs that led me to believe that many people didn't share my sense of Goodwill to my fellow man. But I held on to my naive beliefs.

My eighteenth summer I witnessed some human behavior that shocked me and caused me to re-evaluate my thoughts and beliefs about human nature. Gang rape, bullying, beatings, theft, lies and verbal abuse by high and low, friends and acquaintances, judges and pimps. I decided I would neither participate nor allow myself to be abused by anyone. I withdrew from society and erected defenses. And I've lived that way for more than 40 years.

I just don't let people get close to me without a long and deep vetting process. Most people describe me as standoffish. Most of my interactions with people are as a skilled technician in pursuit of a very specific goal. I don't want to know people except with regards to how it relates to a very specific task at hand. This approach helps protect me from universal human toxicity.

I've only allowed less than a dozen non family members inside my defensive perimeter over the last four decades. This practice has served me well. Mostly people can accept my technical support or leave me alone. No one needs to like me. Those who try to get close to me (for good or evil) can either love me or fear me. I don't care. I am a loyal friend but a terrible enemy.

I care about "people" as much as they care about me. Which is mostly not at all. Mostly people are stupid, self-centered demons who would cut their own mother's throat for a penny or just momentary notoriety. It gets worse every day. Wild beasts are more decent than most humans.

So as I live my life and comment here, I'm only surprised by the depth of human toxicity, not the fact that it exists. I don't expect the human condition to improve, only move to other aspects of depravity. That pretty, smiling face looking innocently at you usually hides a black heart that would crush you for a trifle. Want a friend for life? Get a dog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home